Explore Russia’s cultural capital – one of the world’s most beautiful cities – with an in-depth and lively Jewish Historical background
After meeting your tour guide at the airport you will immediately be taken through centuries of majesty and terror, the histories, legends and intrigues of Czarist and Communist rule will come to life. Highlights of Sunday to include:
- Victory Square and the underground memorial hall and exhibition devoted to the 900 day siege of Leningrad
- St Issacs Cathedral the former principal Orthodox cathedral of the country, one of the most visited city landmarks
- the Savior of the Spilled Blood Church
- Dinner by the L’chaim Restaurant, under the magnificent Choral Shul
- Check in to Crown Plaza Hotel
Monday and Tuesday
We continue to retell the complicated stories of the Jews in Russia – from the the few privileged families who were given access to the Capital City of the Romanovs to the key academics, revolutionaries and leaders of the Communist Revolutions. Key points of Monday and Tuesday will include:
- Yusupov’s Palace, best known as the site of the murder of Rasputin
- The Russian Museum
- The Hermitage
- Peter and Paul’s Fortress, burial place of many of the Romanovs, fortress housed part of the city’s garrison and the prison where the first Lubavitcher Rebbe was imprisoned twice
- Faberge museum
- Dinner at Golden Café Kosher Restaurant
- Peterhof with its magnificent parks with countless fountains, charming pavilions and summer houses.
- The National Library and most importantly the Firkovich Collection which includes the Leningrad Codex
Check out of the Hotel.
Visit Pushkin, the opulent Catherine Palace. This estate, in what was formerly known as Tsarskoe Selo, was the summer residence of the Imperial family. Explore its grand state rooms, the superb white marble grand staircase and the spectacularly baroque Great Hall – an astonishing room of gilt, carved wood and mirrors – and the famous Amber Room and Park.
Return to Airport in time for outbound flight.
One of the world’s most beautiful cities, St. Petersburg has all the ingredients for an unforgettable travel experience: art, architecture, an extraordinary history and rich cultural traditions that have inspired and nurtured some of the modern world’s greatest literature, music, and art. Join us for a city tour full of mystery and enchantment.